Bhadravathi (Kannada: ಭದ್ರಾವತಿ) is an industrial town and taluk in the Shivamogga District of Karnataka state, INDIA. It is situated at a distance of about 255 kilometers (158 mi) from the state capital Bangalore and at about 20 kilometers (12 mi) from the district headquarters, Shivamogga. The town is spread over an area of 67.0536 square kilometers (25.8895 sq mi) and has a population of 150,776 as per the census held in 2011.
Bhadravathi derives its name from the Bhadra river which flows through the city. It was earlier known as Benkipura(or Venkipura), which in English means city of fire. In recent history, Bhadravathi rose into prominence with the establishment of Mysore Iron and Steel Limited (now known as Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Limited) in 1918. This is a large Iron and Steel manufacturing facility and constitutes a major part of the town. Bhadravathi's reputation as an industrial town was further enhanced with the establishment of a paper manufacturing firm, the Mysore Paper Mills Limited in 1936.
As of 2011[update] India census, Bhadravathi had a population of 150,776 of which male and female are 75,020 and 75,756 respectively. Bhadravathi has an average literacy rate of 86.60%, with 91.56% of the males and 81.70% of the females literate.
Bhadravathi lies in the central part of the Karnataka state, in the south-east corner of the Shimoga district. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Bhadravathi town are 13°50'N and 75°42'E
Bhadravathi Taluk borders Shimoga Taluk of Shimoga district to the west, Honnali Taluk of Davangere district to the north, Channagiri Taluk of Davangere district to the east and Tarikere taluk of Chikmagalur district to the south. The total area of Bhadravathi Taluk is around 690 km².
Bhadravathi is at an altitude of around 1900 ft (580 m) above sea level
KSRTC buses frequently run from Bhadravathi city. Many State Highways pass through the city. Most of the metropolitan cities are connected to the city. There are direct buses from Bhadravathi to Mumbai,Pune,Panaji,Chennai&Hyderabad. Many buses to Davangere,Udupi,Hubli,Chickmanglur & Chitradurga are running from Bhadravathi.
Two national highways pass through the city: NH-206 and NH-13. From Bangalore, one can take NH-206 which passes via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arasikere, Kadur, Birur & Tarikere to reach Bhadravathi. Buses that go from Bangalore to Shimoga stop at Bhadravathi and take around 6 hours to complete the journey.
The Shivamogga–Bangalore train, the Birur–Shivamogga train, and the Mysore–Shivamogga train all go through Bhadravathi. coming soon Shivamogga to Talaguppa train its nearly in 6months. The Birur-Bhadravathi railway line passes through the city. Many trains run daily from Bangalore to Shivamogga that stop at Bhadravathi. Alternatively, one can catch a train that goes to Birur and engage another train/bus from Birur to Bhadravathi. It takes around an hour to reach Bhadravathi from Birur by bus.
The nearest airport is in Hubli, around 170 kilometers (110 mi) from Bhadravathi. Another airport is under construction in Shivamogga.
1 Jnanadeepa CBSE, Javalli - Hollehonnur. 2 Poornaprajna STATE, Lower Hutta - Old Town. 3 Visvesvaraya English High School, Siddaruda Nagar - Old Town. 4 St. Charles STATE, Jannapura - New Town. 5 SAV STATE, VISL-MPM Industrial sector - Paper Town. 6 Jawaharlal Nehru English School - Old Town
1 Aurobindo PU College.(Science). 2 SAV PU College.(Science). 3 Paper-town PU College(Arts). 4 T.K. road PU College(Arts). 5 St.Charles PU College(Commerce)
1 TAMES Ayurvedic Medical College,Bhadravathi. 2 JNN College of Engineering,Shimoga. 3 Shimoga Institute of Medical Science,Shimoga. 4 Sir.M.V. Government science College,Bhadravathi. 5 Sir.M.V. Arts and Commerce College,Bhadravathi.
Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Limited (VISL):
Started under the able guidance of Sir M Visvesvaraya, VISL (earlier known as Mysore Iron and Steel plant) has been a pioneer in production of high quality alloy and special steels and pig iron. VISL has an installed capacity of 77,000 tonnes of alloy and special steels and 205,000 tonnes of hot metal. VISL has received the ISO: 9001:2000 certificate for steel production through rolled and forged routes and pig iron production. VISL is at coordinates [show location on an interactive map] 13°49′54″N 75°42′08″E / 13.831777°N 75.702227°E / 13.831777; 75.702227 (VISL). It is currently owned by SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited)
Mysore Paper Mills Limited (MPM):
The Mysore Paper Mills Limited is an ISO 14001 Company engaged in the manufacture and marketing of Newsprint, Writing, Printing and Packing Paper of different varieties and Sugar at its plant at Bhadravathi, Shimoga District with production capacity of 75000 MTA (Metric Tonne per Annum) of Newsprint, 30000 MTA of Writing, Printing and Packing Paper and 2500 TCD (Tonne Crushing per Day) of Sugar and with a total manpower of about 4800 employees.
It was incorporated on 20 May 1936 under the Mysore Companies Regulation, VIII of 1917 and became a Government Company in November 1977 when the State Government acquired controlling interest in the company increasing its share holding to more than 51% as required under Section 617 of the Companies Act, 1956. The Company has its Registered Office at Bangalore.
For the purpose of providing pulp wood for the manufacture of paper, the Government of Karnataka has leased 300 square kilometers of land to the company for raising its own captive plantations. The sugarcane requirement of the company is procured from about 15000 families of the cane growers who are directly dependent on this company.
MPM is at coordinates [show location on an interactive map] 13°49′32″N 75°42′50″E / 13.825620°N 75.713761°E / 13.825620; 75.713761 (MPM).
Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple:
Hoysala Architecture as seen in Lakshmi Narasimha Temple
* Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple in the Old Town area of Bhadravathi, built by Hoysala's in the 13th century old. Temple was built by Veera Narasimha, The Grand Son of Vishnuvardhana. The Superb Temple which is currently maintained by the Archaeological Department of the state of Karnataka.
* Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary was started in 1951 as Jagara Valley Game Sanctuary covering an area of about 252 km². It was combined with the surrounding Lakkavalli forests in the year 1972 and given its present name of Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary. It now spans an area of 492 km². Best season to visit is from October to February.
Rivers and Dams:
Bhadra River Project Dam